Systems Engineering Lead
Research & Development
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Systems Engineering Lead to join our client’s Enterprise End User Compute (EUC) Engineering team. You will be surrounded by a brilliant group of technologists working at the forefront of technological development, and you will contribute to significant change.
It’s a great time to join our client: they take a cloud-first approach and deliver against strategic anchors of a Digital Workplace, flexible working practices wrapped in a Zero Trust mindset, coupled with driving Exceptional Support to our end users. Reporting to the Enterprise Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of expert engineers executing against this strategy. You have a background that demonstrates experience in engineering and demonstration of growing and leading high performing engineering teams within agile environments.
The primary objective of this role is to ensure our client’s users are working as effectively and as efficiently as possible. You will provide excellent thought leadership, direction and mentoring to other systems engineers. This is a hands-on technical role supporting, managing, and continually improving a varied estate of the latest end-user technology.
The EUC department are going through a transformational change as they implement an agile operating squad model across their functional teams. The Systems Engineering Lead will play a pivotal role in supporting the adoption of the squad model and ensuring appropriate controls are in place.
The Systems Engineering Lead supports the Enterprise Engineering Manager in directing the successful delivery of our EUC engineering roadmap. You will lead experienced engineers and be the point of escalation in resolving challenging technical issues. You play a key role in the evaluation of technologies, reviewing standards, policies and procedures. You will share your technical knowledge and experience with the team, through coaching and leading by example, hosting lunch & learn sessions, fostering a culture of continual development and helping to build a shift-left culture within the company.
As a Systems Engineering Lead you will:
- Design, build and maintain core infrastructure services within the EUC scope
- Excellent people manager, responsible for the development of several engineers
- Engage with Project Planning, Engineering and Support Leads to drive maturity and governance processes
- Occasional travel and work outside of office hours or weekends may be required dependent on business and project needs
- Be part of our on-call rotation, responding to 3rd level escalations and provide experienced support to our engineers
Skills needed as a Systems Engineer Lead:
- Manage cloud systems running on AWS, could include the following:
- Design VPC, regionally distributed EC2 instances, and more
- Provide AWS operational and deployment best practices throughout the lifecycle of a project
- Plan and lead migrations to and from AWS
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and applying best practices
- Manage new and existing technologies within EUC scope
- Ability to develop an in-depth technical and architectural vision, and have a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute that vision.
- Demonstrate experience mentoring engineers, and teaching practices to help develop multiple teams
- Have 5+ years in a similar role
Experience in any of these technologies would be advantageous:
- Cloud providers (AWS / O365)
- Infrastructure as Code and code management (Terraform / GIT)
- Endpoint management (MS Endpoint Manager / Jamf / Landscape / Autopilot)
- Cloud print (Azure Universal Print / Uniflow)
- Directory services and other enterprise technologies such as DNS and DHCP in an Azure hybrid environment
- Identity and access management
- File storage (SharePoint / Nasuni)
- Monitoring (SCOM / Azure Log Analytics / New Relic)
- Telephony, video conferencing and instant messaging (Teams / Zoom / Slack)
Our client is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. They offer a collaborative, innovative, and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, you will be surround with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Our client promotes a healthy work-life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, they are confident that they offer an appealing working prospect for their people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, they will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
As our cleint wants to protect your health, help you accumulate wealth, and secure your future, they are delighted to offer:
- Generous holiday allowance with the option to buy additional days
- Access to a competitive contributory pension scheme and life assurance
- 2 days community responsibility days
- Parental leave options
- Health screening and private medical benefits
- Season ticket loan
Our client is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. Their strategy is to combine content with technology, supported by operational efficiency, to turn information into actionable knowledge. To deliver against their strategy, they employ over 9,000 people (including 1,000 technologists) in over 70 offices across 24 countries.
If this is you, we would love to register you with Wighthall Collective and invite you to submit your details.